Last resourced: 15 April 2020
On 15 April 2020, Finance Secretary, Kate Forbes announced the second phase of funding to protect against the effects of COVID-19. Details are light on these further aspects of support at present, but we will resource this page with more information as it’s announced.
- The new package of measures includes £120 million to extend the Small Business Grant scheme to ensure that, in addition to a 100% grant on the first property, small business ratepayers will be eligible to a 75% grant on all subsequent properties.
- A further £100 million fund is also being made available to protect self-employed people and viable micro and SME businesses in distress due to COVID-19. This fund will be channelled through local authorities and enterprise agencies to target newly self-employed people and businesses who are ineligible for other Scottish Government or UK Government schemes. Applications for the £100 million fund will be open by the end of the month, and the new arrangements for the Small Business Grant will be in place to receive applications on 5 May.
In March, Fiona Hyslop, The Cabinet Secretary for Economy in Scotland, announced action was being taken by the Scottish Government to support businesses as follows:
- A full year’s 100% non-domestic rates relief for retail, hospitality and tourism
- £10,000 grants for small businesses in receipt of the Small Business Bonus Scheme or Rural Relief
- £25,000 grants for hospitality, leisure and retail properties with a rateable value between £18,000 and £51,000
- 1.6% relief for all properties, effectively freezing the poundage rate next year
- Halting the introduction of the Visitor Levy Bill
The grant funds are now open and can be applied for via your local authority. There are two types of grant available to ratepayers:
- A £10,000 grant to ratepayers of businesses in receipt of the Small Business Bonus Scheme or Rural Relief. Businesses with a rateable value up to £18,000 are eligible for this fund. You can also get this grant if you applied for nursery relief or disabled relief but are eligible for the small business bonus scheme.
- Retail, hospitality and leisure business ratepayers with a rateable value between £18,001 – £50,999 can apply for a one-off grant of £25,000.
Eligible ratepayers should apply to their local authority for these grants.
We have provided the links to the local authority web pages to make it easier for you to find the local authority guidance you need:
Get in touch
If you have any questions, please get in touch at email@example.com.